Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Welcome!




Welcome all to the musings of a TV News Ninja. In the past 12 years I have watched the broadcast news industry undergo a variety of changes...to the point where it is almost unrecognizable to when I first began. In just the past decade we have transitioned from 3/4" tape, to a tape less digital format. Control rooms have now become one man computerized bands, instead of teams of people that specialize in one area. We are on a new threshold, where people either fail to keep up with new technology, or are able to adapt and advance DESPITE technology tying their hands. I am one such person, and have managed to adapt to the point where I have mastered the new control room technology, and have been dubbed an Ignite Ninja (that being a Grass Valley Ignite switching system) by my co-workers.

In this blog I will discuss the pros and cons of news technology, as well as some news practices that seem redundant to me, and where I think the industry is headed. I am one of the few who are "riding the dinosaur into the tar pit" as I wish to continue my career in broadcast news, but I do wish to learn the web side of things, and to that point am working on a Masters in Multimedia Communicatiosn from the Academy of Art University.

No comments:

Post a Comment